Application Deadline: August 27th, 2017.
Swedish Institute Alexandria (SwedAlex), in close cooperation with the University of Twente, the Netherlands, is inviting motivated young professionals to a training on water diplomacy 29 October – 02 November 2017 in Alexandria.
Sustainability, Climate and investing in the Future”, is a key theme of Swedish Institute Alexandria, SwedAlex aims to create a state of dialogue and exchange on the importance of sustainability for societies. The training builds on acknowledging the crucial role of water diplomacy in achieving global sustainability, safety and security. Tackling the complex water challenges, such as pollution, scarcity, droughts and floods, requires a set of “diplomatic” skills to incorporate the diverse, and often conflicting, interests of the actors involved. This training aims to provide such skills to young professionals working in the field of water and sustainability, with an ultimate goal of forming a network of water diplomats from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region and Europe.
Swedish Institute Alexandria will cover the travel and accommodation costs of participants.
About the Training:
The training consists of three interrelated elements, which emphasize the cross-disciplinary and cross-sectoral dimensions of water diplomacy:
- Communication through a water dialogue across borders: How can we better communicate to understand each other’s opinions, perceptions and presumptions about water?
- Cocreation through transdisciplinary water thinking: What are the interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary tools to cocreate the knowledge for dealing with complex water problems?
- Collaboration through multi-scale water governance: How to involve the stakeholders from different governance levels, from local to global? How do we establish cross-sectoral collaboration and inclusive approaches at the same time?
The training will start with a virtual preparation period of 4 weeks, during which the participants will familiarize themselves with the programme content and complete several assignments. Then, the on-site phase will be carried out through a five-day course. After the completion of the on-site phase, the participants will be enrolled within the programme for another period of 8 weeks to co-create several outputs within teams. Thus, the total duration of the training will be three months.
The training targets water professionals, including parliamentarians, government officials, practitioners, scientists, activists, journalists and artists. Accepted participants will have a master-level university degree or at least two years of full-time work experience in a relevant field, and a concrete interest in social, political, legal and communicative aspects of water.
Preferred fields of education: Water Management and Resource Governance/Environmental Policy and Law/Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development.
Target countries: The training aims to contribute to the Euro-MENA dialogue, which is more necessary than ever in the field of water. Accordingly, the countries in these regions are targeted. Preference will be given to participants from Egypt, Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, Yemen, Iraq and EU member states.
Preference will be given to countries of the MENA region.
Age group: While the age of participants will not be a final criterion, the training aims to involve professionals between 25 and 35 years old. For applicants with children, the upper age limit is 40.
Language requirements: Participants must be able to communicate fluently in English.
Deadline for Submission 27th August 2017
Announcing participants 31st August 2017
Travel Arrangements 01 – 30th September 2017
Training at SwedAlex 29 October – 02 November 2017
How to Apply:
You must present all the below requirements in one PDF document:
- Application Form
- If you have a master degree: Abstract of your master thesis
- If you don’t have a master degree: An evidence of your relevant work experience, such as a professional publication, or a reference letter from former/current employer.
- Copy of passport
- Contact information sheet with a table, including your full name, age, passport number, city of departure, mobile phone number
Send queries and your application package to email@example.com
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please submit your application no later than August 27th, 2017.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Swedish Institute Alexandria (SwedAlex) Water Diplomacy Training 2017