The Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA), an African institution committed to the creation of open societies through support for democracy, human rights and good governance, invites applications for eight postgraduate scholarships from Southern African women media leaders who wish to study media management at Rhodes University’s Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI) for Media Leadership in 2019.
Applicants should be from Angola, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, the DRC, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Swaziland, and Zimbabwe. Candidates from Angola, Mozambique, Namibia, the DRC and Lesotho will get priority in the selection of scholars for 2019.
Successful applicants will register for the SPI’s intensive, one-year fulltime Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PDMM), the only formal media management qualification in Africa and the developing world. Candidates must already possess an undergraduate degree from a recognised university in order to pursue postgraduate study. The OSISA scholarships cover:
The full cost of tuition
- Accommodation and meals in one of Rhodes University’s residences
- All learning materials
- A modest monthly subsistence allowance
- Medical aid
- Mid-year media management internship costs.
Application details and procedures:
Only women candidates who are already working in the media industry in the 10 Southern African countries of OSISA listed above are eligible to apply for these scholarships. Candidates should already have an undergraduate degree from a recognised university.
The application deadline for these scholarships is 23 November 2018.
Students wishing to apply for these scholarships need to:
• Complete Rhodes University’s standard External Honours Application form, which is available at https://www.ru.ac.za/media/rhodesuniversity/content/registrar/documents/forms/2015%20External%20Hons%20Applications.pdf), which must be submitted directly to the Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University and a copy emailed to Sibonise Mbengashe (email@example.com) at the Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership. They must also complete the application form for the PDMM, which is available at https://www.ru.ac.za/spi/studying/ and send it to both the Registrar’s Division and the SPI’s Sibonise Mbengashe (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Submit a detailed CV, including email and phone contact details. This is sent to the SPI only.
• Submit certified academic transcripts of ALL tertiary qualifications. These are sent to both the SPI and Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University; and
• Submit to the SPI, through Sibonise, a 1,000-word letter of motivation, which explains why the student is interested in doing the PDMM, how the PDMM will assist the student’s career and why the student believes she qualifies for the OSISA scholarship.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted after the applications close at noon on 23 November 2018.
Application Deadline: 23 November 2018.
For More Information: