Application Deadline: April 14th 2017
The Open Society Documentary Photography Project is soliciting submissions for a
new joint exhibition and grant opportunity engaging with ideas of resistance.
Selected projects will be exhibited in the Moving Walls 24 exhibition (October 3, 2017– July 13, 2018) at the Open Society Foundations’ headquarters in New York.
Selected artists will also receive a grant ($20,000-$30,000) to support ongoing or
future work on these themes. Up to 8 artists will be selected.
- Open Society are seeking photographers and artists who bring expertise and new insight to an issue; who demonstrate a high level of artistic ability or excellence; and who have the skills, track record, and capacity to realize the proposed grant project.
- Applicants must demonstrate an ongoing commitment to visual activism or resistance through their past and ongoing work, and must have worked on at least 2 projects related to these themes.
- Projects considered for exhibition may be part of a larger, ongoing body of work, but the Moving Walls exhibit will be curated from work that already exists (funds will not be provided to shoot new work specifically for the exhibition).
- Projects considered for the grant may be part of a larger, ongoing body of work, or may be a new body of work related to the broader themes of the exhibit.
Open Society Foundations will enter into a contract with selected participants to cover the
We will cover costs (based on a pre-approved budget) to produce and frame/mount exhibition prints.
• $3000 royalty fee:
The fee covers the exhibition at Open Society offices in NY and any additional venues, including but not limited to the Open Society office in Washington, D.C.
• Travel cost reimbursement/coverage:
We will pay for reasonable airfare or ground transportation and cover the cost of reasonable accommodations (based on a pre-approved budget for: 1) travel to New York City during the week of the final curation (May 21-27) and 2) attendance at the opening reception and related events (October 1-7). These dates are tentative and subject to change. Participating photographers are required to attend and are responsible for obtaining the necessary visa to travel to the United States. Visa fees incurred for this purpose will be reimbursed.
• Return shipment:
Upon completion of exhibition tour, we will pay for artwork to be returned to photographers (standard shipment, uncrated).
- Applications must be submitted through our online application form by Friday, April 14, 2017, 5:00 p.m. EST. For a detailed list of questions in the submission form, see pages 8-10.
- If you have questions, please contact the Documentary Photography Project at +1-212-547-6909, or firstname.lastname@example.org (include the subject line: “Moving Walls 24”
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted through our online application form by Friday, April 14, 2017 at 5:00pm EST: http://osf.submittable.com/submit.
- For a detailed list of questions in the submission form, see pages 8-10.
Friday, April 14, 2017, 5:00pm EST (Eastern Standard Time). We experience high traffic and occasional technical difficulties immediately before the deadline. To avoid this, please submit your application early.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Open Society Documentary Photography Project Moving Walls 24: Exhibition & Grant 2017