The Lady Barbara Judge Scholarship will be awarded to one South African Black Women who has received and accepted an offer of admission to one of the following eligible Masters Programmes at SOAS.
The total value of the scholarship is £5,000, which will be used towards tuition fees. The scholarship award will be placed in the candidate’s online SOAS account and they will pay a reduced fee for each module upon registration. In 2018/2019 the portion that the student will be responsible for equates to £900 per module. Modest increases in module fees during the students registration are possible.
- Be ordinarily resident in or a citizen of South Africa
- Must identify as a Black female
- Applicants must be starting in April 2019
- Applicants must hold an offer to pursue one of the eligible degree programme at SOAS by the scholarships deadline
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible
- A student who withdraws, cancels, is suspended, or dismissed from the University will lose their scholarship eligibility
- The student must complete their programme of study within the five-year registration period
- Candidates will be shortlisted and assessed by a Selection Panel consisting of three staff members from the Centre of Development, Environment and Policy at SOAS University of London
- Applications will be assessed on academic merit along with the information supplied in the supporting statement
Notification of Results
- Successful candidates will be notified by 16 February 2019. The offer will outline any conditions required to be met. If you have not heard from us by this date, you should assume your application was unsuccessful
- Once the scholarship award is issued, candidates must accept their offer, enrol on their first module by 29 March 2019 and be ready to start the programme 16 April 2019
- A student who declines an initial offer of admission and accompanying scholarship offer will not retain their scholarship offer if they choose to re-apply at a later date.
- Scholarships cannot be deferred to a future date
- Scholarships are non-transferrable and apply only to CeDEP programmes of study
Scholarship Application Deadline & Application Material
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 16:00 (UK local time) on Thursday, 31 January 2019.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Scholarship Application Procedures
Applicants should follow do the following:
Applicants should apply for the programme according to SOAS University of London’s application procedures. No separate scholarship application form is required. All applicants who meet the eligibility criteria will be considered. As part of the application you will need to submit a 500-word supporting statement which will demonstrate how the scholarship will effectively support the completion of your studies and meaningfully contribute to the development and economic policies in the region.
Application Deadline: 16:00 (UK local time) on Thursday, 31 January 2019.
For More Information: