The IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship Programme makes the conference accessible to a select group of highly-qualified journalists who would not otherwise be able to attend and report on the conference proceedings. The programme also provides a training on HIV research, a series of briefings through the conference week and targeted support to help journalists strengthen their HIV reporting skills.
The partnership between the IAS and AVAC builds off the traditional IAS Media Scholarship Programme to offer increased media support.
The 10th IAS Conference on HIV Science – known as IAS 2019 – will take place on 21-24 July 2019 in Mexico City, Mexico.
The IAS Conference on HIV Science is the world’s most influential meeting on HIV research and its applications. This biennial conference presents the critical advances in basic, clinical and operational research that moves science into policy and practice. Through its open and inclusive programme development, the meeting sets the gold standard of HIV research featuring highly diverse and cutting-edge studies.
The IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship Programme is open to all journalists and community educators reporting on HIV for a recognized print, radio, broadcast or online consumer, medical, community or AIDS Service Organization-sponsored media outlet in any country who is at least 18 years old at the time of the conference.
Priority will be given to journalists:
- Representing national top tier media outlets or wire services with a wide regional or national reach, regardless of the medium.
- With a proven history of covering HIV and/or AIDS and/or infectious diseases. Scientific and broader reporting are both encouraged.
- Based in resource-limited settings as well as journalists representing target countries/regions of interest, including South East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrating a strong commitment to reporting on HIV and/or AIDS. Emphasis will be given to journalists and outlets with a background in reporting on global health topics, infectious diseases and HIV and/or AIDS more specifically.
- Who are part of a key population or living with HIV.
Recipients of the IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship will receive:
- Travel to and from the 10th IAS Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) (roundtrip ticket at lowest fare available from the nearest international airport)
- Accommodation (in a budget hotel for the days of the conference)
- A daily living allowance for each of the days of the conference (21-24 July 2019)
- Participation in the IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship programme including a day-long training with HIV experts, briefings, press conferences and site visits, and dedicated support in the conference media centre.
- The application process is entirely free. Applicants must create a user account to fill in an individual application form.
- A letter of recommendation and three bylined work samples are required to complete the application.
- Contact the Scholarship Programme team : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications are now open online through the profile platform until 24 January 2019, 23:59 CET.
- All applicants will be notified at the end of March 2019.
Application Deadline: 24 January 2019, 23:59 CET.
For More Information: