Application Deadline: May 11th 2017
The South African -German Energy Programme (SAGEN) aims to improve framework conditions for increased investments in renewable energy and energy efficiency which contributes to security of supply, climate protection and job creation alike.
SAGEN supports the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) and municipalities in the field or renewable energy and energy efficiency, through technical advice, support and training measures.
SAGEN seeks to employ a young South African graduate as an intern to expose them to the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency in order for them to develop their experience and skills and ultimately increase their employability. The intern will be based in Pretoria; mainly at the SALGA National Office and partly at GIZ Pretoria office.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The focus of this full time internship will be to support local governance related activities of the SAGEN Programme and in particular to support SALGA. The main outputs include:
The main task of the internship will be to update the existing study on the inclusion of renewable energy (RE) and energy efficiency (EE) measures in municipal Integrated Development Plans (IDPs) . This will require to:
- Develop an understanding of the municipal IDPs process and content
- Develop criteria and research objectives
- Analyse the new municipal IDPs (257) and budget documents
- Analyse the results
- Write the report, in consultation with key partners
The intern will also assist SALGA in the final steps of the energy map, aimed at profiling existing municipal energy projects.
The intern may also assist with other areas of the GIZ SAGEN Programme or SALGA Municipal Infrastructure Services directorate as need arises. Further duties may include the following:
- Support the SALGA technical advisors in their respective work streams; assist the SALGA waste management, environment and climate change specialists
- Conduct research and analysis on topics relevant for SAGEN or SALGA;
- Assist in the planning and preparation of meetings and workshops;
- Assist in the preparation and documentation of workshops or trainings;
- Assist in the development of Terms of Reference (ToR), concept notes and budgets;
- Assist in the development of project presentations, project descriptions and reports;
- Prepare a final report on the internship towards the end of the assignment.
Please note that the above list of topics and tasks is not exhaustive and you will also have the opportunity to engage in other specific thematic areas of the Country Office. Some of the tasks might change during the course of the internship to correspond with the dynamic political environment in which GIZ operates.
At the end of your internship you will be required to submit a report on your activities and of your achievements within the programme.
Minimum Required Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
- Bachelor degree studying towards a master degree or bachelor degree with work experience, or higher qualification/diploma in relevant fields.
- Excellent IT and computer skills (especially Microsoft office, internet research). An advanced proficiency in Excel (advanced formulas, graphs, etc.) is required.
- Understanding of the sustainable energy sector, experience in the sector will be an advantage
- Knowledge in climate change
- Knowledge of the municipal sphere of government will be an advantage
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Proactivity and ability to multi-tasking and to work-independently. Team-player.
- Please note that interns must be enrolled at higher-learning institutions or have graduated less than 6 months before the start of the internship.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the GIZ Programme South African – German Energy Programme ( SAGEN) Internship 2017