Application Deadline: November 13 , 2017
Job ID 2017-1568
The Echidna Global Scholars Program is a visiting fellowship hosted by the Center for Universal Education (CUE) at the Brookings Institution. The program aims to build the research and analytical skills of NGO leaders and academics who have substantial experience and ties to developing countries. Echidna Global Scholars spend four to six months at Brookings pursuing research on global education issues, with a specific focus on improving learning opportunities and outcomes for girls in the developing world.
Upon completion of their fellowship, CUE supports the scholars in implementing an action plan that applies their new skills and expertise in the developing country where they have demonstrated substantial ties.
As part of the Global Economy and Development program at the Brookings Institution, the Center for Universal Education develops and disseminates effective solutions for quality education and skills development. It offers a forum for research, high-level dialogue, and public debate on a range of issues relevant to education, with a particular focus on the developing world. CUE envisions a world where all children and youth have the skills they need to succeed in the 21stcentury, and plays a critical role in influencing the development of policy related to global education and promotes actionable strategies for governments, civil society and private enterprise.
Education /Experience Requirements:
- The program selects professionals with substantial experience in and ties to developing countries, a demonstrated intent to return to a developing country, and a passion and demonstrated commitment to girls’ education.
- Applicants should have a background in education, development, economics, or a related area, with at least 15 years of professional experience in either research/academia; non-government and civil society; government; or business.
- Master’s degree required; Ph.D. or research background strongly preferred.
Strong analytical and writing skills. Successful applicants will have an intimate understanding of education development issues and/or issues related to development and gender.
- Please note that this position is a part- time resident fellowship at Brookings (it is not an employee position).
- Applicants selected for the fellowship will receive a living stipend of USD $5,000 a month (subject to U.S. tax withholding), paid housing for the four-and-a-half-month term, and round-trip travel expenses.
- Echidna Global Scholars must be available for a full-time, on-site affiliation with the Brookings Institution for the entire duration of the residency of the program as well as a pre-arrival data collection phase of research prior to their arrival.
- Echidna Global Scholars are required to conduct research on an approved topic.
- Scholars will also present their research papers at a Brookings seminar or event at the end of the residency.
- Each Scholar is expected to be an active participant in Brookings and CUE activities, including, but not limited to, regularly-organized organizational staff meetings, informal discussions, seminars, presentations, and other CUE and Brookings events.
Term of Program:
- The research project should be conceptualized as a 7-8-month research and writing process beginning while the scholar is at home prior to the residency.
- The residency will begin on or around July 3, 2018 and end on November 16, 2018.
- Scholars may be invited to apply for seed funding to implement their research findings in a pilot program after the residency
- . Please note that the timeframe of this program will not be changed.
- Attach your Curriculum vitae or resume and cover letter to include a list of fellowships, honors, awards, funded research, or current foundation support that you have received, as well as publications. Please attach curriculum vitae or resume and cover letter as one document when you apply.
- Attach answers to Questionnaire in the Writing Sample section. Click here to access document
- Attach Research Project Proposal in the Writing Sample section. Click here to access document
*Documents must be saved with a format of Last Name, First Name and document name. Note that letter of recommendations, writing samples and transcripts are NOT required. Please upload Questionnaire and Research Project Proposal in the Writing Sample section.
- Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Candidates selected for interviews may be asked to submit additional materials. Incomplete applications, and any applications received after the deadline will not be considered. If you require visa sponsorship to participate in this fellowship program, your English proficiency will be verified via an objective assessment as required by the U.S. Department of State.
Timing and Application Deadlines:
- Application deadline November 13 , 2017
- Results finalized: April, 2018
- Tentative Residency Term: July 3, 2018 to November 16, 2018
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply. Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
For More Information: