CREA’s eighth Feminist Leadership, Movement Building, and Rights Institute in East Africa is a residential programme, designed to strengthen feminist solidarity, leadership advocacy, and strategies for building collective power for social transformation.
This year, the Institute in a new form and design, looks at engaging feminists from across the region to build a substantive understanding of our present – a time that is witness to the emergence of majoritarian right wing ideologies with a shrinking space for dissent and dialogue; neoliberalism with new forms of economic injustices; and a growing regime of surveillance and censorship. The possibilities and challenges of digital and social media on the one hand, and the emergence of new modes of popular protest, and contestations around heteronormativity and able-bodied-ness on the other, are some of the realities that define the current context. The course will seek to encourage and enable participants to:
- Interrogate concepts such as nation, identity and development that affect our struggles and strategies by reshaping the discourse and practices of patriarchy and gender.
- Explore different forms of leadership through feminist journeys, histories and standpoints across generations.
- Build new and collaborative modes of resistance in the face of emerging configurations of power.
To be selected to attend the Institute you must be:
- A woman or a trans person, with a minimum experience of 3 years working on gender issues, women’s rights, development and/or youth activism (voluntary or paid).
- Residing or working in Africa.
- Able to demonstrate how you will use what you learn at the Institute in your work and how you will continue to participate in follow-up activities.
- Proficient in English language, as the Institute is conducted in English and all the training and reference materials used will be in English.
Venue and Dates
The Feminist Leadership, Movement Building and Rights Institute—East Africa will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from 8-15 July 2018. Participants are expected to arrive by 7 July 2018 and stay for the entire duration of the course. Considerations have been made to ensure reasonable accommodation and accessibility for participants. The venue is wheelchair accessible.
- Travel, tuition, accommodation and meals for the duration of the Institute will be covered by CREA.
- Participants will be required to pay a registration fee of USD 50
Participants are responsible for obtaining their own visa.
Accommodation will be on twin-sharing basis.
Application Deadline: May 21st 2018
For More Information: