Application Deadline: 1 November 2017
IOC Young Reporters Programme, a sports journalism training programme that will be run during the Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires 2018. The Young Reporters initiative will bring 30 young reporters from five continents to the Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires (Argentina), 6–18 October 2018, with the programme running from 30 September to 19 October 2018.
Young Reporters will be accredited as “E” press, have access to all the sports, work and
train in the Main Press Centre with all other accredited media, and receive specialised and intensive media training from senior Olympic journalists. Aspiring Young Reporters:
- will be aged 18 to 24 years old
- will consist of four participants from each continent (Africa, Americas, Asia,Oceania and Europe)
- will be 2 male and 2 female reporters from each continent
- will be studying journalism at college or will be working as reporters
- will have reporting proficiency in English
- will have a portfolio and references to complement application.
- Available to attend the full duration of training
This group of Young Reporters will also be joined by teams from Argentina (the host nation for the YOG 2018) and Switzerland (the host nation for the Winter Youth Olympic Games Lausanne 2020).
- The IOC will cover the cost of economy airfares, all meals, twin-share hotel accommodation and full tuition by seasoned Olympic journalists, who will act as mentors and coaches.
- The Young Reporters will arrive in Buenos Aires on 30 September and depart 19 October 2018. Classroom training and lectures will be held from 1 to 5 October 2018, with field training (starting with reporting) as of the Opening Ceremony on 6 October.
- The Young Reporters will receive intensive class and field training in written, photographic, television, radio and new media reporting on the sport, as well as dedicated forums with
guest speakers representing key international media organisations and senior Olympic officials.
The programme will include a behind-the-scenes tour of the International Broadcast Centre and meetings with Olympic Channel programmers and reporters , who will also be reporting from Buenos Aires.
The integration of social media, coding and the use of algorithms will form a core component of the Young Reporters’ training, giving participants all the tools required to work in today’s
evolving news rooms.
Following the training programme in Buenos Aires, the top 15 Young Reporters, as selected by the Mentors, will be invited to the second stage of training, to be held at the 3rd
Winter Youth Olympic Games in Lausanne, Switzerland (10–19 January 2020).
- National Olympic Committees (NOCs) will establish their own national selection process and will nominate Young Reporters on the basis of passion, performance and promise. NOCs will submit applicants to their Continental Association by 1 November 2017.
- Continental Associations will then choose two male and two female participants from the NOC nominees to represent their continent and submit their names to the IOC for consideration.
- The IOC will announce the successful list of candidates on 12 December 2017, following a one-on-one interview in English and a vetting process with all the candidates
- 1 November 2017: Deadline for NOCs to nominate candidates (max. 2) to their Continental Association.
- 2-15 November 2017: Continental Associations to review all applications and select two male and two female participants to represent their continent, with a limit of one Young Reporter per NOC.
- 15 November 2017 : Deadline for Continental Associations to submit candidate applications and dossiers to the IOC.
- 16 November– 10 December 2017: IOC carries out the interview process with all applicants. The final decision on the suitability of nominated candidates remains with the IOC
- 12 December 2017: IOC announces list of participants for the 3rd IOC Young Reporters programme.
- Feb–Mar 2018: IOC will liaise with Young Reporters for travel arrangements.
- 30 September 2018: Young Reporters arrive in Buenos Aires.
- 19 October 2018 : Young Reporters depart Buenos Aires.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the (IOC) Young Reporters Programme 2018