The McDonald Fellowship enables young researchers from emerging countries to work in a research institution outside of their own country. Following the award, we expect applicants will be able to use the newly developed expertise and networks, continuing to undertake MS research and/or patient care in emerging countries.
The fellowship consists of a two-year grant, around UK £30,000 per year, to cover travel and living costs, and an additional contribution of UK £2,000 per year to the host institution. We anticipate that part of the second-year grant to the host institution will be used to cover the expenses of the candidate attending the annual congress of ECTRIMS, the European Committee for Treatment and Research in MS.
One fellowships is in partnership with ECTRIMS and is known as the MSIF-ECTRIMS McDonald Fellowship.
One fellowships is in partnership with the ARSEP, The Fondation pour l’Aide à la Recherche sur la Sclérose En Plaques.
All candidates must:
- Be under 35 at the time of application
- Be educated to post graduate level in an area relevant to multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Be citizens of an emerging country (all countries with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as defined by the World Bank)
- Focus their research in an area relevant to MS
Candidates must also be in one of the following situations:
- Working or studying in an emerging country (all countries with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as defined by the World Bank) at the time of nomination
- Working or studying in another country on a project which started within the six months prior to nomination
- Studying in another country on a project supported by an MS International Federation grant
This is a joint application from the applicant and host. Before nomination, candidates need to have identified a suitable project and host supervisor at an institution outside of their own country. Candidates are encouraged to identify a suitable host institute and supervisor, and to develop their project proposal.
Candidates need to provide the following to apply:
- A joint McDonald Fellowship application form from the applicant and host.
- Testimonies (references) from three people, including one from the applicant’s current supervisor or employer.
- All completed McDonald application forms should be attached to an email, along with the required references, and submitted to [email protected] by the 30th of June.
- Result will be announced in late September
Application Deadline: June 30th 2018
For More Information: