This Call announces a competitive, selective and transformative programme of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to prepare promising and productive early career academics to become a new cohort of South African professors. The Future Professors Programme offers a structured curriculum that includes intensive seminars and international placement aimed at accelerating the readiness of young academics for the professoriate.
Candidates will ideally be lecturers or senior lecturers in possession of a doctorate and who have already been able to demonstrate significant academic achievement beyond the doctoral degree. Candidates can apply via their university Vice-Chancellor’s office or its designated authority. The university in turn will nominate up to five candidates for possible selection. The first cohort will consist of 20 to 28 fellows. The programme commences in January 2020 and is open to all academics with the emphasis on black and women scholars.
A deep commitment to the pursuit of advanced scholarship.
• Evidence of productive and imaginative scholarly work.
• Early signs of purpose and direction in academic work.
• Novelty, richness and a willingness to take risks in the pursuit of large ideas.
• Personal qualities of self-awareness, teachability and the need to grow.
• Evidence of resilience and persistence in the face of setbacks.
• A willingness to benefit from and contribute to a community of scholars.
Submission requires the following documentation (details provided in the Call sent to Vice-Chancellors):
1. A curriculum vitae.
2. Two-page evidence-based submission explaining how you meet the attributes. This should include a commitment to participate fully in the programme, if selected.
3. Contact details of three referees.
4. The application should be accompanied by a short institutional nomination by the Vice-Chancellor or the designated authority of your university, addressed to Professor Jonathan Jansen, University of Stellenbosch via the email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are limited to five per university, and only submissions made via the office of the designated authority atyour university will be accepted by the 15 July 2019 deadline.
Questions may be directed to Professor Jonathan Jansen, e-mail: email@example.com
For More Information: