The ICANN organization is looking for the next generation of individuals who are interested in becoming actively engaged in their regional communities and in shaping the future of global Internet policy. Important work is happening every day at ICANN. If you are ready to start your journey, attending an ICANN Public Meeting as a NextGen@ICANN participant could be the place to start!
Through the NextGen program, ICANN provides coaching and travel assistance to students from the regions where the ICANN meeting is taking place.
Prospective members of the NextGen@ICANN program must be:
- Enrolled as an undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral student.
- Between the ages of 18 and 30. If you are over the age of 30, learn about the ICANN Fellowship program.
- Currently living and studying in the region of the respective ICANN meeting. ICANN‘s meetings rotate through five geographic regions: Africa, Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific.
- Interested in Internet Governance, the future of the Internet, and other topics covered at ICANN meetings.
- If selected, participant must be able to attend the ICANN meeting and required events. NexGen participants are expected to actively participate at the meeting.
- If selected, participant must be willing to present a 5 -10 minute project at the meeting. The presentation can cover topics including: research you are working on or completed, an activity related to ICANN‘s work, an ICANN related website you are affiliated with, a thesis project, etc.
- If you have already participated in the NextGen program, you can apply to return as a NextGen Ambassador.
- For ICANN meetings, a stipend not to exceed US $500.00 will be provided to offset reasonable individual expenses (such as meals, ground transport, other travel related expenses, etc.). Separately ICANN will reimburse costs incurred due to obtaining a visa for travel to that ICANN Meeting, up to the USD 200.00 allowed in the ICANN Constituency Travel Guidelines.
- ICANN will only cover the cost of a hotel room directly using an ICANN meeting partner hotel as established by ICANN‘s travel service provider. Any and all hotel surcharges (e.g. telephone calls, room service, laundry, movies) are the responsibility of the NextGen participant. The hotel may request a credit card OR cash deposit from the NextGen to guarantee these expenses.
NextGen@ICANN Selection Criteria
Applicants are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Applicant exhibits interest in ICANN and the Internet ecosystem through examples of current work, activities, public dialogue through their studies, and/or research on the web.
- Applicant expresses how participation in the NextGen@ICANN program would be valuable to them as an individual, and as part of a greater community (e.g., university, country, region).
- Applicant’s quality in expressing their view on an Internet topic within their application.
- Applicant demonstrates a desire to become a part of the ICANN community.
- Applicant demonstrates long-standing interest in topics related to ICANN‘s work.
- Applicant expresses a desire to engage and improve their understanding of ICANN‘s work in their region.
- The application round will remain open until 22 June 2018.
- Successful candidates will be announced on the ICANN website on 30 July 2018
Application Deadline: 22 June 2018, 11:59pm.
For More Information: