Bitch Media, an independent, nonprofit feminist media organization now in its 22nd year, is pleased to offer the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. The program is directed by Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Bitch Media is pleased to kick off the fourth year of the fellowship program. BM seek fellows who are passionate, engaged, and interested in developing their unique voices for these four fellowships, each of which pay a stipend of $2,000 for the three-month period.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Sexual politics
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
- This fellowship was created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are a writer still figuring out the topics you’re most dedicated to, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- This is not a full-time position, but an independent fellowship designed for writers who want to develop confident, well-rounded voices and are particularly interested in feminist criticism and mission-driven journalism.
- Fellows may be based globally, and U.S. citizenship or residence is not required to be a fellow. Writers who have contributed to Bitch before will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
During the 3-month fellowships, the fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length
- Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in biweekly meetings (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within feminist-media communities.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
Application Deadline: July 31st 2018
For More Information: