In 2018, the Global MIL Awards reflect specific areas of expertise or advocacy within these five overall categories. Nominees are expected to be champions and promoters of Media and Information Literacy (MIL) in connection with one or more of the following areas:
- Cultural, ethnic and gender equality;
- Diversity and pluralism;
- Tolerance, peace and efforts aimed at countering hate;
- Intercultural/interreligious dialogue and equality;
- Freedom of expression, access to or right to information;
- International cooperation on MIL.
In addition, nominees should be supporters of critical, constructive spaces for knowledge sharing, research and debate. Please note that this list is not exhaustive; others areas will be considered as well.
The work of the award winners may also be related to one or more of the following fields, which are central tenets of the UN Sustainable Development Goals:
- Peace building
- Economic development
- Environmental sustainability
- Fundamental rights
- Poverty reduction
- Cultural diversity